Tuesday, August 24, 2010

My Rant on "Body Type"

I need to rant for a minute. I'm so frustrated with the world and in particular guys views of women's weight. I've watched the past few weeks the ABC show called dating in the dark (yes I know its not high quality TV) and I seriously want to beat the guys who after they see a girl who is maybe a size 6 or 8 say "well she's pretty but she doesn't have the body type I like." Seriously? Seriously! That is small!! I wish I was back in those sizes but guess what even when I'm not I'm still a beautiful women and so is everyone else. Not everyone can be a size 0 or 2. Being tiny doesn't make you beautiful. If you aren't it doesn't even mean that you don't exercise and take care of your body. I know this is just a show but this idea is everywhere! I don't want my girls to ingest this thought I don't want to let these thoughts in either. Please world stop feeding this idea to us, our girls and the men and boys out there!!!

4 comments:

BethSpang said...

amen.

But really though, it's a messed up thing, the whole judging women by their weight. When I ran a 5k for Thanksgiving there was a box to check off if you weighed more than 160 pounds; I was furious (& my running partner & husband heard about that one...). Who cares if I weigh more than 160. I don't want to be put in the 'clydesdale' category; maybe some ladies do, but not this one. AND... I'm running, for Pete's sake! I should be happy with that accomplishment alone!


Also, my husband & I try not to talk negatively about our bodies or others' bodies. Because we know this will affect our kids, & they'll hear PLENTY about this from everybody else.

I'm with you on this one, Nancy. Enough already. [People can be so shallow.]

ps- this may sound crazy, but we haven't had TV for a year. And we don't plan on getting it either anytime soon :)

i said...

ditto!

Dan and Sarah said...

I hear you!
It appears that some men and medias view of women involves having no curves! when will the twiggy and 'boy hips' look go out? Ugh!

Sarah said...

Amen, sista. It's a messed up view of physical appearances that's being thrown at our girls. And us. We don't have TV either. Probably a little too sheltered, but I'm sure my kids will see plenty of it from other places.

I'm behind on checking blogs, but I love all your posts--I miss those torrential twenty minute rain falls from Vegas! I loved watching them.
Great job on the spring piano recital as well!