Sunday, October 5, 2008

Pennies by the Inch

Lately Alexis has been asking how she can earn money and is always hunting for coins. We weren't sure why she all of a sudden became so concerned about having money but offered her little chores to do so she could earn some money. Tuesday night I actually took the time to talk to Alexis while she was cleaning her room and asked her what it was she wanted the money for. I was surprised by her answer:"I need money to help the kids at the hospital feel better Mom." I understood what was going on then. Our primary is helping raise money for the primary children's hospital and Alexis wanted to help. I was impressed that this sweet little girl cared so much for others and that she didn't want the money for herself or a new toy so we talked about ways that I could help her earn more. We came up with the idea that we could make some cupcakes and cookies to sell around the neighborhood. After dinner we went to the store and Alexis picked out two cake mixes (rainbow and "pink"), two frostings (vanilla and chocolate) and the suff we need for chocolate chip cookies. That night she helped me bake all the cupcakes and the next day she helped decorate them and bake the cookies. Alexis set the prices herself for the cupcakes and cookies: "I want 1 quarter for a cupcake and five dimes for a bag of cookies!" With that we set out around the neighborhood with our treats in the back of our wagon. I was once again shocked by our neighbors kindness and genorosity. I thought she would make around $15 but when we got home and all our goodies were gone she had earned $49! She is so happy that she was able to earn money for the "sick kids at the hospital" and I am greatful to her for reminding me that it is good to remember and help others. I let Alexis and Ariana keep a cupcake and cookie to eat but Alexis was much happier with how she was going to help than by the yummy food she got to eat. Joy does come more from helping others than ourself.

10 comments:

Katrina said...

I love this story. What a sweet girl she is and what a great mom you are. She gets her kindness from you. I think most moms would have pulled out a chore chart and said this is what you will get for each chore. You went the extra mile. Went to the store, baked cupcakes AND Cookies, and then loaded them up in the wagon and sold them. You guys are such great examples to me. 49 dollars! That is great.

Sarah said...

Yes, I can't believe you made all those cupcakes and earned so much money!! Truly serving your community. way to go,.

Gretch said...

This story cheers me up tremendously! Thanks

Carl and Starla said...

That just brought tears to my eyes. There's a reason why the scriptures tell us that we need to be more like children...they are so sweet and innocent. Way to go, Alexis! That is a lot of money and I am sure it will help the "sick kids".

Kendra said...

She is such a sweetheart! You are such a great mom and you have taught your girls to be so kind and sweet! I also love that she made her own prices. Would she accept 2 quarters or only 5 dimes?

Jenny said...

This brought tears to my eyes. It's no wonder where she gets her sweet caring attitude from. A mom that would go through that much trouble tells us where she gets it from! Way to go!

Elizabeth Dover said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Elizabeth Dover said...

I wish we could edit our comments not just delet them. Oh well, I loved this little story about your daughter. It is so moving when little ones throw their whole heart into doing something good like this. You are a wonderful mother in fostering this by going the extra mile.

Becky said...

That just proves...Cuteness sells! If you need extra income I'm sure she could get a salesjob somewhere! What a sweetie!

Lesley said...

I didn't know this was Alexis' idea! And here I was giving you all of the credit! The cupcakes were very good and Matthew was bummed we didn't buy more!