
Today I played the organ at church and while I played the prelude music I let my girls color. Its a lot better than them climbing and running through all the choir chairs. Once the meeting started I ask them to pick up and sit down. Normally this goes just fine with occasional whispered warnings while I am trying to play the opening hymn but today, well we had quite the different adventure. Ariana and Alexis started fighting over which
crayons to put away and Ariana with all of her three year stubbornness was not happy with how many she got to pick up (these were cool triangle shaped crayons that they can't get enough off) So as I am playing the opening song there is screaming, there is yelling, Ariana was stepping on the foot pedals of the organ and making them play while she yelled about the crayons. And of course to make it all better she was yelling right in the bishop and 2'nd counselor's ear! I always bring a snack that they can have after sacrament is passed if they are reverent and so I whispered to Ariana that she wasn't earning her snack. Ok, wrong thing to say to an already past upset three year old. This just escalated the screaming and turning it into rolling around on the floor. Un-noticed by me, Reina Gammett came up and got Alexis to come sit with her but Ariana wouldn't have it. The song finally ended and prayer began and I was RUNNING Ariana out of the church as she was screaming "I DON'T WANT A TIME OUT!" So how did I feel so loved? As I ran out I was followed by at least 5 people trying to help. They all knew I needed to play again in a few minutes and that I was by myself with my girls and realised that I needed help. One thing that touched me was it wasn't just women who came to my aide it there was also a young women and Ariana's nursery teacher who is a man. I know EVERYONE in the room had to have heard our exit but no one had to come help but they did and it wasn't just one it was many. I feel so blessed to have people who care enough to try and help when I need it most. Its hard to ask for help sometimes but it is touching when other's reach out and just offer it. That situation could have left me very frustrated, crying and wondering why I even try. Instead I walked back in loved, appreciating the wonderful people around me and feeling the spirit. Thank you...
crayons to put away and Ariana with all of her three year stubbornness was not happy with how many she got to pick up (these were cool triangle shaped crayons that they can't get enough off) So as I am playing the opening song there is screaming, there is yelling, Ariana was stepping on the foot pedals of the organ and making them play while she yelled about the crayons. And of course to make it all better she was yelling right in the bishop and 2'nd counselor's ear! I always bring a snack that they can have after sacrament is passed if they are reverent and so I whispered to Ariana that she wasn't earning her snack. Ok, wrong thing to say to an already past upset three year old. This just escalated the screaming and turning it into rolling around on the floor. Un-noticed by me, Reina Gammett came up and got Alexis to come sit with her but Ariana wouldn't have it. The song finally ended and prayer began and I was RUNNING Ariana out of the church as she was screaming "I DON'T WANT A TIME OUT!" So how did I feel so loved? As I ran out I was followed by at least 5 people trying to help. They all knew I needed to play again in a few minutes and that I was by myself with my girls and realised that I needed help. One thing that touched me was it wasn't just women who came to my aide it there was also a young women and Ariana's nursery teacher who is a man. I know EVERYONE in the room had to have heard our exit but no one had to come help but they did and it wasn't just one it was many. I feel so blessed to have people who care enough to try and help when I need it most. Its hard to ask for help sometimes but it is touching when other's reach out and just offer it. That situation could have left me very frustrated, crying and wondering why I even try. Instead I walked back in loved, appreciating the wonderful people around me and feeling the spirit. Thank you...
9 comments:
Nancy that is an awesome story. I love you!
Oh how i miss the people there! I'm glad that they helped turn a horrible experience into a good one.
Nancy!!! I wish I was there. I am glad people came to help in your time of need. You are so amazing that you go every week, play the organ and deal with kids all at the same time. You are wonder woman!!
It sounds like a very humbling experience. As well as frustrating. It is amazing that one can keep their cool in such instances. I am sure you are very grateful for those that were willing to help out.
Wow what an awesome story! It really is nice when people can see a need and fill it without being asked. Most of the time I feel overwhelmed at church and Jeremy is usually right there helping so I can imagine adding the fact that you were alone and trying to play made it extreme! Nice that you could look at with a positive spin!
Thanks for playing the organ Nancy. I didn't even notice all that was apparently going on until you walked out. I was waiting to step up to the organ if needed and will always be waiting and hopefully ready if ever you need a back up.
I was on my way to help when Chad E. passed me and since I knew that your daughter knew him (from nursery) beter than me, I didn't come out. We (untalented non-organ players) appreciate that you come to church without help and play the organ!
You know I was thinking what an awesome ward we have and I knew that someone would follow you out there and just take care of it so you could do your calling. You are loved and I so admire you for all you do!
Oh, I just love the people in that ward! So many wonderful good people. I am so glad you had these people to help you out. I have kind of stopped blogging but maybe I should make more time for it. I was so touched by this story. Thank You for sharing it. I have been thinking of you and the rest of the group out there. I am glad it sounds like you are being taken care of. Could you send me your address please? Elizabeth_hutson@hotmail.com Take Care of yourself, Much love!
Post a Comment