Thursday, April 16, 2009

Pretty Little Faces and Scars

We've had an interesing month full of blood and scares. First in mid March Ariana fell off a swing in the back yard. Alexis ran in the house yelling "Mommy, Ariana fell off the swing and hurt her tummy." Ariana likes to run around in only underwear and this day she was playing outside in only underwear so I went down stairs expecting to see scratches all over her tummy. What I found was a little girl covered in blood from her chin to her toes! She had her mouth full of blood, blood driping from her chin, blood all over her tummy, blood down her legs and driping on the ground. Turns out it wasn't her tummy at all. She had bitten her lip, scratched her chin and cut open a small gash on the side of her mouth. The gash was tiny but full of pebbles. My friend, neighbor, and pediactric ER nurse Tenielle looked at it and recommended that I clean it out. I decided it wasn't worth taking her to see if it needed stiches since the part that was the worst was the wound inside her mouth and there is nothing a dr. will do about that. Now Ariana is all better but a month later she has scars all over her chin and the gash feels like a hard ball. Hopefully they will continue to fade with time.

April 2, two days after we got back from our trip to CA I was getting a shoping list ready, Alexis was doing a paint by numbers that Grandma Frederick gave her for her birthday and Ariana tried to help. Alexis flipped out and while screaming and yelling at Ariana hit her head on my piano. I was upstairs and just heard all the yelling. Ariana wasn't suppose to touch Alexis paint so I went down to help. When I got there Alexis was screaming that Ariana had ruined her picture, what she hadn't realised that she had hit her head and it was bleeding everywhere. It was in her hair, all over her hands, dripping down the side of her face. It had even gotten in her left eye and because she was crying about her picture she was actually crying drops of blood from her eye! Ewww!!! The gash was on her forhead and I decided this one was worth having a Doctor look at because I didn't want her to have too bad of scar. Tenielle happened to be getting off work when we got to the ER and took Ariana home for me. I will never be able to thank her enough because we got to the ER around 7:30pm and the whole experience wasn't over until 12:30! Justin had been playing at a company softball game and got to the ER around 9:30. One of us needed to go pick up Ariana and so I thought Justin would go but Alexis wanted him to stay. I was a little shocked and wondering why but on the way home I remembered that when I was younger and I'd get hurt I wanted my Dad too. He was the one who always took me to the ER, or the urgent care. When I had surgury in college it was my Dad that drove through the night to pick me up when I was discharged. It makes me happy that Alexis wants her Daddy like that too. Alexis ended up getting 3 stiches and we are still waiting for 2 of them to come out. Of course this all had to happen now because it is time for birthday pictures! We got them taken last Saturday and Alexis hair is in her face and Ariana is wearing makeup to cover her chin.

7 comments:

Sarah said...

Yikes!! I can't believe you got wham-bammed with two accidents in a row!

What a brave couple of little girls you have! Alexis makes stitches look like fun!

Brenda E said...

Wow, what a joy! Not! Sounds like life has been crazy for you. If your daughter will let you and the scab is gone get some of that stuff to help fade scars, and gently massage the area with it. It will break that tight scar tissue up some. Eventually you can add a little more pressure with the massage. Or do it while she is sleeping if she sleeps good, and then she won't get nervous, and scared about you touching the area.

Brittany said...

Oh my goodness! It's so stressful when your kids hurt themselves! Don't you hate going to the ER...I do! It stinks you were there for 5 hours! I'm glad they are both doing better and I'm sure their birthday pictures will still turnout really cute! :)

Ragan said...

Tim and I used to joke around while we lived in Vegas that if you were dying the ER would be the WORST place to go to. It's ridiculous! Glad your girlies are both okay after their little accidents though. It's so hard as a mommy to see all of that blood on your babies.

Katrina said...

I think being a mom is the hardest job in the world. Watching your babies get hurt is the worst!

Elizabeth Dover said...

Thank Goodness for a friend like Tenielle. What a life saver! What a month! No Fun. Hopefully you all are done with accidents for a while.

Carl and Starla said...

Holy Cow! When it rains, it pours, eh?! Remember when Delanie fell at the park & bit her lip almost all the way through & I took her to the ER & they sent me home because there was nothing they could do with it because it was inside the mouth? Well, we also have a huge 'knot', 'bump' or whatever else you want to call it inside her mouth where it was, but now it seems to be getting smaller...it's only been 2 1/2 years! So I'm sure it will go down in time :)

Glad the girlies are doing fine...kids keep life interesting, don't they?