Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Brandon Mull book signing

We drive A LOT these days and one thing that has truly helped with the ten hour drive from Idaho Falls to Vegas and back is listening to books on CD.  Our latest book series has been the Beyounders by Brandon Mull.  Alexis has read almost all the books he has published and loves them!   So much so that a couple months ago in school when the librarian did a pantomime activity where each student was to act out a character from a book and everyone else guess, before Alexis had even started her whole class yelled, 'Fabelhaven!'  (Brandon Mull's first series) because she was constantly reading them and carrying them around.  (she told me they got it wrong though because she thought that's what everyone would guess and picked a different book, I can't remember what she said she picked)

Tonight at dinner when I asked Alexis how her day had been she started off by telling me how disappointed she has been because she had missed the assembly with Brandon Mull today because of PACE.  I was sad for her because I know she would have loved it.  Alexis mentioned that he was doing a book signing tonight at Barnes and Nobel.  I offered to take her after dinner.  She grabbed her copy of candy shop wars and off we went.  I'm so glad it was just me had Alexis that went.  The line was huge and our group wasn't called until just before 10pm!  There is no way I would have stayed with Ariana or James that long.  Alexis and I had a wonderful night together though.  Barnes in Nobel is connected to the mall so we looked at books, window shopped, bought a cute head band and a couple more Brandon Mull books.  It was lovely spending the time alone with her!  I feet hurt so bad by the end but it was worth it for the night and her smile.  Alexis has been spending most of her freetime writing lately and was anxious to ask two questions to Brandon Mull:
When did you start writing?
How did you come up with ideas?

He told Alexis he started writing around the age of 10 after he read the Narnia series and his mind and daydreams just exploded.  He'd write them down and as he got older they got bigger and more extreme.

2 comments:

Johann said...

Dang-you're awesome! What fun thing for Alexis to do and an awesome memory to have for the future=)

Johann said...

^^^Deborah. I'm sure Johann would concur though ;-)