Sunday, January 9, 2011

My Favorite Things from 2010

For the second year in a row I've gone to a My Favorite Things Party. I love them, at the beginning of each year we get together have dinner and share our favorite things from the past year. Its basically a grown up show and tell. Here is what made my list for 2010:

Favorite Products


Product: Garnier Fructis- Instant Melting Conditioner
Why I love it: This has been like magic for my girls tangles and mine! Once I put this in our hair I’m able to brush and comb hair out so easily with no tears. It also goes on sale a lot and is only around $3.00 all the time.

Product: Gamma Seal Lids
Why I love it: These lids are awesome! The lid will fit any 12 inch bucket. Once on to open all you do is spin the top. No other tools are needed to open your bucket. They make it so much easier to access food storage items that are kept in large buckets.

Product: Wood Burning Tool
Why I love it: I really got into making bows and hair things out of ribbon this year. The wood burning tool lets me cut and seal the ribbon edges so they don’t fray in one step. You only need a very basic set and can find them at any craft store.


Product: Finish Jet Dry
Why I love it: It really works. When my dishes are done they look sparkling clean without water marks. I can tell when the dish washer is starting to run out because my dishes start having streaks.

Product: Salon Care 100ct box of hair clips
Why I love it: When you make lots of hair things you need LOTS of clips. Sally’s Beauty supply sells these boxes of clips for around $5.


Product: Famous and Fun Piano Books
Why I love it: I am always on the lookout for piano books that are easy with fun well known melodies (this is harder than you’d think it is to find!) The Famous and Fun series are just what their title calls them, famous and fun, and they come in levels 1-5.


Product: Netflix
Why I love it: Its cheap, lots of choices, we were able to cancel cable and monitor what us and our girls are watching on the TV.

Product: Barnes and Noble’s Nook
Why I love it: I love to read but don’t like to buy books at full price. With the nook I can get books for free or cheap and I can even borrow them from the library for free! There is no back light so it doesn’t hurt my eyes and I don’t have to find a home for all my new books.

Favorite Finds

Toys R Us Clearance: I found that Toys R Us has the BEST infant and toddler clothes and shoes clearance prices. I’ve been able to buy tons of REALLY cute outfits AND shoes for $1.00-$2.50

Hobby Lobby: Love the new Hobby Lobby store off Sunset and Stephanie. Its fun just to walk around in to window shop and be inspired. They also have great sale prices.

Kohls $10 off $20 Coupon: These coupons come sporadically during the year on the paper. I love them because you can use them on ANYTHING in the store including clearance items (Kohls has great clearance prices!). You can also combine them with other percentage off coupons as well making for some amazing deals!

Hulu: We don’t have a DVR and Hulu lets me watch shows whenever I like with very few commercials (love that!) Netflix combined with hulu makes me feel like I can watch whatever I’d like on my own schedule.

Buffalo Wild Wings: I can’t believe I didn’t try this place sooner! So yummy! Wednesday kids meals are $.99 and Tuesday/Thursday are wing deal nights.

Cafe Rio: Again I can’t believe I didn’t eat here sooner. I love their pork. Its sweet and tastes good in any of their products. I also really enjoy the tres leches dessert is marvelous (I like to add some extra fruit on top if we bring it home) Get a card at the register and have it stamped each time you go to earn a free meal.

Favorite Books

The Help by Kathryn Stockett: A MUST read! Its beautifully written and has the feel of a book that will one day be a classic that has to be read in school. LOVE this book.

The Book Theif by Markus Zusak: Very different approach to a fictional story about a little girl in Germany during WWII.

Flags of Our Fathers by James Bradley: Very enlightening. This is a non-fiction account of the men from the famous flag raising photo on Iowa Jima during WWII. I learned things in this book I never learned in my history classes during high school and college.
The Goose Girl and Enna Burning by Shannon Hale: Fun easy reads especially if you like princess stories and fantasy with a twist.
Harry Potter by J.K. Rowling: I re-read all the Harry Potters this year. I love them.
The Cobra by Frederick Forsyth: A book I’m surprised I enjoyed so much. Its a well thought out and researched look into the cocaine cartel and a fictional campaign to try and overthrow it.
Percy Jackson and The Heros Of Olympus by Rick Riordan: I really enjoyed escaping into Rick Riordans world he has developed in these series of books. Yes they are children's books but I liked them.

No comments: